NEFOCAST: the Project
The objectives of the project are to design, implement and validate a prototype of an integrated technological platform that can analyze the information provided by the SmartLNBs, integrate it with other measurement systems (eg rain gauges) in order to improve the precision of measurements and the accuracy of results.
Obiettivo del progetto è la progettazione, implementazione e validazione di un prototipo di piattaforma tecnologica integrata che consenta di analizzare le informazioni fornite dagli SmartLNB, integrarle con altri sistemi di misura (es. pluviometri) al fine di migliorare l’accuratezza delle misure e la precisione dei risultati.
Nefocast will provide a highly detailed and accurate state of cloudiness and precipitation over a very brief period
– During the project an experimentation and validation campaign will be carried out, via installing a group of SmartLNB terminals integrated with rain gauges appropriately spread across the region, collecting the data transmitted by them and generating precipitation fields.
– These fields will be correlated with the information collected by a meteorological radar in order to validate the implemented rain retrieval algorithm..
– During the project an app will also be developed to present the data: it will be made available during the experimentation phase to a closed group of users. Later in the project it will be integrated with other solutions for the distribution of alert messages to the general public.
– The heart of the system will be the integrated technological platform that will be integrated with Eutelsat‘s EBIS satellite platform from which it will receive data on signal attenuation and information transmitted by the rain gauges connected to SmartLNBs..
– This platform will also implement the rain retrieval algorithm and interfaces with the public utility app in order to present data to users.
– The project also envisages the study and implementation of any possible changes to the communication standards of the terminals as well asevolutions of the EBIS platform necessary to interface it with the integrated technology platform.
M.B.I. S.R.L. (MBI) will be tasked with engineering and implementing the HW / SW infrastructure of the platform as well as implementing the communication interfaces for the RBIS platform and end users.
PRO.GE.COM. S.R.L. ( (PROGECOM) will be in charge of developing the application for the presentation of data.
The University of Pisa Information Engineering (UNIPI) will study the mathematical models to characterize the precipitation based on the available information.
The National Inter-University Consortium for Telecommunications – Laboratory RaSS ((CNIT), and the Institute of Biometeorology of CNR (IBIMET) will study the physical models at the base of meteorological precipitation phenomena and define the rain retrieval algorithm to be implemented in the integrated technological platform . They will also deal with validating the information gathered during the experimentation, and correlate it with those collected by a meteorological radar.
All the partners will be involved in the experimentation according to their specific skill set.
– During the experimentation, the integrated technological platform will be interfaced with the EBIS platform of EUTELSAT, with which an experimental agreement has already been signed.
– At the end of the project, the integrated technology platform will be fully operational: Following on from the commercial evolution of the EBIS platform, as the number of SmartLNB terminals increases, it will be able to provide accurate data on precipitation throughout the European area and subsequently at global level.
Nefocast will analyze the information collected by the SmartLNBs and transform them into detailed precipitation maps
The project has been supported by Météo-France, the French national meteorlogical service, which is part of the French Ministry of Transport. Météo-France is one of the most important national meteorological organizations in the world. It is one of the founders of EUMETSAT, the European service responsible for Meteosat. The organization also represents France in the
World Meteorological Organization.